- Brings the main work up to date to August 1, 2017.
- Detailed coverage and analysis (Including a flow chart) of the important decision in R. v Needham  regarding the application of the extension period to a driving disqualification where the offender also receives an immediate custodial sentence.
- Detailed coverage of the important decision in R. v Hassani  (where the Court affirmed and restated the decision of the Chief Magistrate and Senior District Judge in R v Cipriani ) giving extensive guidance in relation to the conduct of drink drive cases including case management at the first hearing, disclosure, expert witnesses and challenging the reliability of breath machines.
- Coverage of the changes to the Magistrates’ Courts Sentencing Guidelines and the new guidelines effective in 2017 including the guidance relating to driving whilst over the limit with drugs.
- Detailed coverage of changes affecting the operation of the MIB scheme where a driver is uninsured or untraceable and of cases confirming the restriction on exclusions from insurance cover: Wastell v Woodward (Deceased) ; R&S Pilling (t/a Phoenix Engineering) v UK Insurance Ltd ; and R&S Pilling (t/a Phoenix Engineering) v UK Insurance Ltd  and Oldham BC v Sajjad 
- Full updating following the implementation of the Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions 2016
- Coverage of the effect of the developing changes in mutual recognition of driving disqualification.
- In-depth commentary on latest case law: R. v Taylor  (Supreme Court decision on fault where a driving accident resulted in death); R. v. Beech  (disqualifying passengers and requiring them to take an extended test); R. v. Brandford  (duress); R. v. G  (extending the scope of the ‘slip rule’ in the Crown Court);. R. v. Hamlett  (the importance of properly assessing value before ordering forfeiture of a motor vehicle).
- Coverage of sentencing cases on causing death by dangerous driving including: R v Gard ; R v Barker .
- Coverage of sentencing cases applying further the guidance in Dewdney  and Hussain  on causing serious injury by dangerous driving including Taylor  and Bruziene .
- The availability of self-defence in relation to a charge of dangerous driving: R v Tracey Riddell 
- Coverage of sentencing case on causing death by careless driving when under the influence of drink or drugs: R v Jolly .
- Note of relevant changes in the Criminal Procedure Rules 2015 (as amended) and the Criminal Practice Directions.
- Updating of Appendix 2 (Endorsement Codes) and changes regarding fixed penalty amounts
Editorial BoardKevin McCormac
, O.B.E., M.A. (General Editor) is a barrister, Judge of the First-tier Tribunal, and author of Archbold Magistrates’ Courts Criminal Practice
is also edited by Philip Brown
, M.A., LL.B., solicitor and former Senior Traffic Commissioner; Nick Watson
, O.B.E., LL.M., M.B.A., District Judge (Magistrates’ Courts); Peter Veits
, District Judge (Magistrates’ Courts) and Joanna Woodhouse
, LL.B. solicitor and Judge of the First-tier Tribunal