This is the First Supplement updating the Sixth Edition of The Interpretation of Contracts by Sir Kim Lewison.
The work includes fresh commentary and cases covering each chapter of the main work, updating the Sixth Edition to the end of July 2017.
The First Supplement updates readers on key developments in case law including:
• Contractual interpretation post Arnold v Britton: Wood v Capita Insurance Services Ltd  UKSC 24; Globe Motors Inc v TRW Lucas Verity Electric Steering Ltd  EWCA Civ 396
• On the purpose of interpretation: Fomento De Construcciones Y Contratas SA v Black Diamond Offshore Ltd  UKSC 36; Barnardo's v Buckinghamshire  EWCA Civ 1064 (under appeal to the UKSC); Credit Suisse Asset Management LLC v Titan Europe 2006-1 plc  EWCA Civ 1293
• Considerations of business common sense: Grimes v The Trustees of the Essex Farmers and Union Hunt  EWCA Civ 361
• Background evidence and public documents: Trump International Golf Club Scotland Ltd v Scottish Ministers  UKSC 74  1 WLR 85.
• Layout and punctuation: Legge v Sterte Garage Ltd  EWCA Civ 97
• Implied terms following Marks & Spencer plc v BNP Paribas Securities Services Trust Co (Jersey) Ltd  AC 742.
• Recent cases on the principle of good faith in contracts
• Implied terms in insurance contracts after Insurance Act 2015, s.13A
• The argument from redundancy: Re Lehman Bros International (Europe) (in administration) (No 4)  2 WLR 1497.
• The contra proferentem principle: Nobahar- Cookson v Hut Group Ltd  EWCA Civ 128.
• Agreements to agree: Astor Management AG v Atalaya Mining Plc  1 Lloyd’s Rep 476
• Correction of mistakes by interpretation: Hayfin Opal Luxco 3 SARL v Windermere VII Cmbs Plc  EWHC 782 (Ch).
• The approach to potential inconsistency: Alexander v West Bromwich Mortgage Co Ltd  1 All ER 942; MT Hojgaard AS v E.ON Climate and Renewables UK Robin Rigg East Ltd  UKSC 59
• Recitals as obligation: Mr H TV Ltd v ITV2 Ltd  EWHC 2840 (Comm)
• Exemption clauses: Impact Funding Solutions Ltd v AIG Europe Insurance Ltd  UKSC 57; Persimmon Homes Ltd v Ove Arup & Partners Ltd  EWCA Civ 373; Taberna Europe CDO II Plc v Selskabet AF 1.September 2008 in Bankruptcy  EWCA Civ 1262
• Exclusion of particular rights or remedies: Scottish Power UK Plc v BP Exploration Operating Co Ltd  EWCA Civ 1043
• Contractual discretion