This is first update to the 23rd edition of Scrutton on Charterparties and Bills of Lading
, the leading statement of general principles in the fields of time charters, voyage charters, demise charters and bills of lading. First published in 1886, Scrutton has provided a first port of call for research when drafting contracts or dealing with disputes for generations.
The author team is led by The Hon Sir Bernard Eder and comprises of three leading QCs at Essex Court Chambers; Steven Berry QC, David Foxton QC and Christopher Smith QC, all of whom have extensive practical experience in the shipping and commercial fields, as well as the leading academic, Professor Howard Bennett of Nottingham University. All contributed to the 23rd edition of the work and this Supplement.
This Supplement is to be read side by side with the 23rd edition. It updates the existing text in particular by reference to new cases since the 23rd edition (2015) including:
- Grand China Logistics Holding (Group) Co Ltd v Spar Shipping AS  EWCA Civ 982;  2 Lloyd’s Rep. 447
- Sumanu Natural Resources Ltd v Mediterranean Shipping Co SA  EWCA Civ 34
- Sang Stone Hamoon Jonoub Co Ltd v Baoyue Shipping Co Ltd (The Bao Yue)  EWHC 2288 (Comm);  1 Lloyd’s Rep. 320
- Southport Success SA v. Tsingshan Holding Group Ltd. (The Anna Bo)  EWHC 1974 (Comm),  2 Lloyd’s Rep. 578.
- Gard v China National, (The Ocean Victory)  UKSC 35,  1 Lloyd’s Rep. 521,
- Gard v Clearlake, the “Zaliv Baikal”  EWHC 1091 (Comm),  2 Lloyd’s Rep. 38
- Glencore v MSC  EWCA Civ 365,  2 Lloyd’s Rep. 186
- Volcafe Ltd v Comp Sud Americana de Vapores  EWCA Civ 1103 CA,  1 Lloyd’s Rep 32
- Kyokuyo Co Ltd. V A P Moller – Maersk A/S(T/A Maersk Line)  EWHC 654 (Comm),  1 Lloyd’s Rep 580
- Fulton Shipping Inc of Panama v Globalia Business Travel SAU (The New Flamenco)  UKSC 43, SC  2 Lloyd’s Rep 177
- SBT Star Bulk & Tankers (Germany) GmbH & Co KG Cosmotrade SA (The Wehr Trave)  EWHC 583 (Comm),  2 Lloyd’s Rep 170
- MSC v Cottonex  EWCA Civ. 748,  2 Lloyd’s Rep 494