A primary reference tool on the general principles and the particular aspects of common law damages, McGregor on Damages
is still the leading authority on damages and has been for over 50 years.
Part of the Common Law Library McGregor on Damages
provides in-depth and comprehensive coverage of the law, from detailed consideration of the general principles to a full analysis of specific areas of damages.
The First Supplement to the Twentieth Edition covers all the latest developments in the law of damages since publication of the Twentieth Edition. These include important decisions on causation, remoteness of damage, damages for loss of a bargain, breaches of undertakings as to damages, non-pecuniary losses, and damages for trespass, discrimination, assault, and false imprisonment. The supplement also considers important decisions from the Supreme Court on personal injury damages, damages for negligent valuations, "negotiating" damages, and interest awards.
Case updates include:
- ARB v IVF Hammersmith Ltd  EWHC 2438 (QB)
- Meadows v Khan  EWHC 2990 (QB)
- SCF Tankers Ltd v Privalov  EWCA Civ 1877
- Tiuta Inernational Ltd v De Villiers Surveyors Ltd  UKSC 77;  1 WLR 4627
- Clay v TUI UK Ltd  EWCA Civ 1177
- Dryden v Johnson Matthey Plc  UKSC 18
- Duce v Worcestershire Acute Hospitals NHS Trust  EWCA Civ 1307
- Morris-Garner v One Step (Support) Ltd  UKSC 20
- Phones4u Ltd (In admin) v EE Ltd  EWHC 49 (Comm)
- Prudential Assurance Company Ltd v Commissioners for Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs  UKSC 39
- Smith v Khan  EWCA Civ 1137
And many more…
- Provides comprehensive coverage of the law of damages, from detailed consideration of the general principles to specific heads of damages
- Clarifies complex areas such as loss of a chance, mitigation, causation and exemplary damages
- Examines such issues as periodical payments and interest on damages
- Goes through statement of case, the trial and appeals
- Considers damages in relation to particular contracts, tort and human rights such as below:
- Sale of Goods, Hire and Hire-purchase of Goods, Sale of Land, Contracts to Pay or to Lend Money, Contracts for Carriage and Contracts of Employment
- Torts affecting Goods: Damages and Destruction, Misappropriation, Torts Affecting Land, Torts Causing Personal Injury, Torts Causing Death, Assault and False Imprisonment, Malicious Institution of Legal Proceedings, Defamation, Economic Torts, Misrepresentation, Infringement of Privacy and Misfeasance in Public Office
- Damages are sought through the courts to compensate someone who suffers loss, damage or injury caused by the action of others
Also available as an eBook on Thomson Reuters ProView™
Thomson Reuters ProView™ is the iPad app custom built for legal professionals like you.
Using ProView means you can connect to and interact with the content you rely on in new ways, wherever and whenever you like. Find out more about ProView.
Purchase this title as an eBook to start reading today: